10 June 2020

things we're eating

There's sugar snap peas to pick every other day or so
Kale and more kale-
I like to sautee it just until crisp, with salt and garlic or sesame seed- goes nicely with rice and salmon or lentils or just alongside a stir-fry...
Enjoyed arugula flowers in the kitchen for a while, but now I've pulled the arugula, tatsoi and mizuna plants. They were all flowering and going to seed, and would cross.
So the greens bed looks half empty now
The glaze collards are growing back from where I cut them down
and soon I'll plant these young tokyo bekana into the empty space

The second greens bed is still full of slo-bolt simpson lettuce, last-year's blue collards gone to seed, and leaf beet chard. It looks kinda messy. I'm going to pull some of those lettuces and only let a few go tall.
Other side of it has the swiss chard, a few marigolds and alyssum.
Up on deck: figs are starting! on both my older plant, the chicago fig
and the newer brown turkey fig:
And of course, there's the herbs- almost every day I use something: chocolate mint or lemon balm for tea, chives sprinkled over something, sage chopped into a quesadilla, a bay leaf for simmering soup or lentils, basil on top of re-heated pizza (yeah, haven't made from-scratch pizza in a while). Dill in eggs or with fish, and just yesterday I used dill in a turnip-and-peas dish. It was pretty good! Going to repeat- when more turnips are ready (I only had two, so had to reduce that recipe by eighths.

No comments: