28 April 2021

spring garden

The season is moving too quickly on me. Already some of the lettuces are starting to turn bitter- when I cut these crisp mint and bibb leaves, I saw the white sap in the stems
though the simpson elite, slo-bolt and little ceasar are still good to eat.
Tatsoi stems are lengthening so I might get one or two more cuts of that- I've only used it a few times, really- in scrambled eggs, or in a dish as if spinach. This year's tokyo bekana is looking grand and I cut a pile of it last night for dinner- and my husband even asked for seconds "of the chinese cabbage". Meanwhile in the next bed over, last year's is making lots of seed pods- just in time. In two weeks when I set out the tomatoes, I think these will be ready enough to harvest, freeing up the space.
Turnips are filling their end of the roots bed with greenery
Snap peas are climbing! Their bed is messy because I haven't cleaned up fallen maple seed or laid down grass clippings mulch yet.

No comments: