25 April 2021

done moving plants

from around the silver maples on the shady sideyard. First I dug and shifted a lot of yellow salvia- some went under the holly shrub
others finished a semicircle around the euonymus on the corner of the front flower bed. That shrub was seriously pruned by the deer this winter- they ate all the lower leaves, half the bush was denuded. I scattered bits of irish spring soap again, and started putting discards from my hairbrush in the bare stems. One or the other has kept the deer away (or they just have more to eat in the patch of woods now it's spring) leaves are growing back on the lower stems visible here.
Most of the salvias went in a curve around the back of another tree in the rear of the yard, where I'd rather have shade plants than struggling grass and moss.
This morning I checked on them after a night of rain. Some are perked up, others not yet.
Then I dug and moved some of the stinkin' hellebore seedlings. Into a little patch behind the two mature ones, in soil turned over and mixed with compost. 
There's about twenty-five of them (and I left a lot behind!)
One of the older stinkin' hellebores has a new flush of leaves
Then I dug and moved the rest of the pink turtleheads- these are in a new spot with fresh wood chip mulch
These are some I moved earlier 
into the same area around tree stump
It is well surrounded now-
Last of all I dug and moved the burgundy-colored heucherellas (I don't know their name)- in a front row under the holly- 
they blend in so with the leaves, hard to see
Hostas- one here on the left- haven't done so well in this spot, maybe heucherella will do better. And I still think that bit of dark strappy leaves is mondo grass- it might look nice spaced in with these dark heucherellas.

No comments: