12 June 2020

in the new beds

I have been a bit dubious about how well my new beds would perform, because I never threw dirt over a base layer of sticks before, and the soil I topped it with was not well-mixed. Hoped that the compost I added was rich enough to make it good, the dirt would sift down into the stick layer so roots reaching that far would find what they need, and the wood hold moisture then start to decay just adding to it all. But not sure if that's good for the plants meantime. However, they appear to be doing just fine! My zucchini is growing rapidly
and even has buds forming now
The tomatoes have grown taller- I added more ties and strips of cloth to give them support. Not pretty, but it does the job.
There's tomatoes coming in on all plants- Cherries
Cherokee Purple
This one is Beefsteak
Even my Brandywine plant is doing better than I've seen in the past (they usually get ailments or pests before the others)
So far no sign of blossom end rot or fungus, only a few leaves on the lower stems have yellowed and had to be removed. No hornworms have found the plants yet, aphids are minimal and when the sun is on the bed, the leaves practically sparkle with health. I'm hopeful to have good tomatoes this year.

No comments: