31 October 2019

half a QT

My 20H tank has been at a friend's house several months; I brought it home again yesterday and decided to move into it the three black skirt tetras with all their stuff out of the bin. Only put ten gallons water in because I don't think the furniture it's sitting on would hold 20 safely. It's a lot bigger footprint than the bin so still plenty roomy for the fishes.
 Tetras were in here a few days-
then after I was sure the QT remained cycled, I moved them into their final home the 45, and put a new group of fish in QT (see next post!).

Meanwhile, I kinda cheated with my angelfish tank. I bought several large fake plants. Happened to be at a different pet store and found some the height I need. Angelfish actually looks smaller in the tank now, to scale with the plants! The tall darker strappy leaves behind her are fake silk, the brighter shorter green in front is the crypt balansae- I'm still hoping that will grow out enough but it's so slow. The fakes are placeholders.
(Mostly because the parrot's feather is dying- I pulled it all out yesterday). I also got a plastic 'willow' type fake plant with tons of small leaves- it's in the back left there- it fills the whole center rear of the tank now- my kid thinks it looks very pretty but as soon as I put it in there I didn't like it. Too unruly and busy- I want more grasslike stuff. I thinned it a bit- the foliage is in little bunches that snap onto each other- and put some in the QT (weighted down with glass beads):
At least it will come in handy to make lots of QT cover, if needed.

No comments: