30 October 2019

shrimps moved

Relocated my shrimp bowl upstairs to the bedroom. Its spot was needed by QT tank, and I kind of  miss having a tank in my room. Easiest tank move ever- I just picked the whole thing up, and carried it. Didn't need to remove any water or livestock!
Upstairs is a few degrees warmer in winter, which will be good for the shrimps too. It's always fun to see them crawling around upsidedown on the duckweed root hairs! I think this jar must be rather old- the glass is thick and a bit hazy.
Not sure how the light exposure here compares to the spot it was in before- it's indirect bright light as well but could be different enough- have to wait and see how the plants do.
For a while it was completely no tech (the miniature sponge filter being used in QT). Everything was still alive, however the shrimps very lethargic. They'd wave a feeler, pick at food- but as if in slow motion. So I put in an airstone, with a valve to keep the flow gentle (and it's quiet enough doesn't disturb my sleep).
Immediately the shrimps became lively and active again. Here's one under an anubias leaf!
Another on the pink buce rock-
Both in the same shot-
Another benefit of moving the shrimp jar- all the other tanks are on the same floor but this one, so I'm less likely to overfeed, more likely to leave them to pick at algae and debris. Which is better overall for the jar, I think.

No comments: