28 February 2019

random plants

Checked on my mint pots. Chocolate and ginger mint are still alive!

Love seeing the sunlight through pot of chives
Indoor lemon balm is getting taller again. I may pinch and use fresh leaves from its top just to make it branch out more.
My teen wanted to add fresh ginger to green tea. I dug some up from my basement pot, where the rhizomes were going to run into the pot edge anyway. They're smaller than I expected. And she said there was very little flavor. I wonder if because the plant is dormant, probably better to dig it in late summer or fall.
I'm thinking of planting some out against the house wall, on the shady hillside behind my row of big hostas. They need a backdrop! and it might like that spot which is kept damp by the sump output, and it would have plenty of room to spread. I could always dig enough to keep potted overwinter and plant out again in spring- something I was never willing to do for flower bulbs, but now considering for ginger . . .

No comments: