05 May 2018

mayapple

This picture makes me sad.
I invited my brother-in-law's girlfriend, a fellow gardener, over to dig up my mayapple plants.
She is fond of poisonous and toxic plants, has a whole garden of them- which I would like to visit someday. However I would not touch anything. Some of the plants are so toxic just the scent or skin contact will make you deadly ill. Including my american mandrake. I knew it was toxic to eat- except the perfectly ripe fruit (if you can completely clean out the seeds, which will kill you). But a bit more reading let me know it can be extremely toxic just to touch. And I have children. Who are not always careful or mindful... Plus it is thriving and what if it eventually spread into a neighbor's yard?

Much as I loved its umbrella foliage, I had to let it go.... we put on disposable gloves and washed well after. She has woodlands, few neighbors and no children about. Well I hope they thrive and flourish in their new home.

No comments: