04 May 2018

setting out

I put the rue into the garden. In the spot where oregano used to be- it is central (useful if the scent really is a deterrent). I like its delicate, fluffy appearance.
Here view from behind the onions
The rest of the herb bed is mostly empty- sage prolific on one side, two borage plants in the back.  Going to fill in with basil and a few other things when it gets consistently warmer...
The day after I put out the rue, it suddenly got colder again at night, so I sheltered it under a plastic bin overnight.
Off in the rear there outside of the garden beds I put the lavender. It's a drier spot which I hope will still get enough sun.
The heads of my onions are ready to open. Curious to see the shape of the flower folded and pressed against inside of the head- however to describe that I don't know but see the picture.
This one is just opening.
I was going to add my new rosemary to the herb bed too, but decided to keep it in a pot. I may be able to keep this one going if I bring it indoors overwinter.
I have planted the lettuces into the garden. Probably will be able to eat the young leaves for just a few weeks, and then it will be too hot- they will bolt or die. I think I should try growing them in planters under the deck next year, where they'll stay cooler, or start cultivating actual southern greens like collards...

No comments: