18 January 2014

pretty with pink

It seems I am finally doing something better for this plant. It needs more frequent watering than I had given, and likes the light in the kitchen. I am pretty sure now it's a variety of Rex Begonia Coleus but the ones I see in pictures are darker in hue and fuller growth habit. Mine is pale by comparison. I think I have just not got the conditions quite right for it yet.
It is looking better every day, though, and growing faster now too. These photos are just a few days apart and you can see the small leaves in the center have doubled in size already. I've learned it likes to stay humid but not soggy. I think once this plant has grown more it will be a good candidate for a SIP planter like the one my Pothos is in. But it likes to stay root-bound a bit before moving up a pot size, so I have to wait for that.

2 comments:

Snowball said...

It is looking lovely. I just can't get over how much it looks like the coleus my daughter had next to her house last year, though. In fact, that's what I thought it was when you first posted the picture.

Jeane said...

I think you are right actually! I just looked at pictures of coleus and it looks like the same plant. Someone gave it to me and I did not know the name so was guessing. Now I can learn what it needs. Thanks so much!!