08 April 2009

plans

Thinned the Radish seedlings today. Trimmed grass along edges by hand, and mulched the Onions w/the clippings. Gave them a drink of half-diluted fertilizer, too. What I thought was Celery coming up isn't- it's orange day lilies. I know because they're bigger now, and just behind the row of tulips under kitchen window, a small scattering of seedlings coming up- either the Celery or the Cauliflor I planted, not sure which yet.

Made a gardening calendar, hung on the wall. Noted down which dates the first seedlings came up, and then counted the days for when they need to be periodically fertilized, or dressed w/compost. Last year I just stuck all the seeds in the ground, and fed them sporadically w/a little general liquid fertilizer, and organic mulches of cut grass. That was about it. This year I'm reading up, and planning to give the individual crops more particular care; as well as I can w/limited experience to feed them at the times needed most, and prepare soil conditions, sites w/the proper sun/shade, etc. Hopefully see better plant health and yield.

No comments: