22 October 2023

more acorns

Yesterday I planted out the sweetspire, on the larger slope. And trimmed berries off the nandina. Mixed firepit ash into the vermicompost and spread on both front and back lawns (most of it on the front, as I think the back lawn gets nutrients that wash downslope out of the garden beds). 

Sorted this pile of acorns out of the baskets, that were starting to split
and got this much good stuff out of them
Today even more looked ready- hard to tell in the photo, but the plate was heaped a lot higher.
I didn't take a photo of the ones that had exposed nutmeats, putting them directly into the freezer once I had half a dozen open- but here's all the ones that got shelled and still had skins on- left those for the end, as they wouldn't start to go bad as quickly.
It still felt like more than half were rotten inside or eaten by the grubs (they're not really acorn worms, though I've been calling them that. They're the grubs of the acorn weevil. Acorn worm is a different species entirely that lives in the ocean, named after the shape of its head I think). 

But felt satisfying that after splitting all those in the last picture, and putting the good ones in the freezer, to find I've now filled a quart bag completely.
And I'm down to two baskets of acorns, to continue shelling and splitting as they dry out.

No comments: