26 July 2022

some nice surprise

Over a month ago, there were free plants offered at my library. Bare root trees and some rhizomes. I brought home a mulberry tree- it died. And two canna lily rhizomes, dug them into the ground, watered a few days, forgot about it. No sign of any plant so I thought that didn't survive, either. Until now! Trimming the grass after weeks of being off my ankle, found them both growing well. I'm not sure of the color- red or pink probably.
Common milkweed grew back better than last year (except that one has some damage on its top). I have only seen one caterpillar though.
Trimmed up the sedum around the front yard old stump spot, where dead flowerheads were looking unsightly. Tossed the trimmings on the big blank sideyard spot where stump got ground out. Just in case a few take. Three cuttings that I planted there last season, are looking good. I'd like them to fill some of the area!
The one ajuga that survived the stump grinding, has grown into a nice big patch.
Spiderwort is filling out its spot, too. I'll have to cut it back soon. 

No comments: