24 April 2022

more spring stuff

Today pricked out the tomato seedlings into pots. 

Over half my tatsoi got eaten by a slug before I remembered to put out a beer trap. A single slug I think, because I only caught one medium-sized slimer, and the remaining three tatsoi are undamaged now. 

Squirrel is (as always) irritating me by digging in the beds. Where the peas, collards, lettuces and chard are planted it does little damage- I just fill in the holes again.
Where the young beets and turnips are coming up, quite a few have gotten destroyed. I put wire mesh over those beds, held down with rocks- but the squirrel digs through the mesh! Must be very determined to recover whatever nut he remembers hiding in that spot. Grr. I need to finally fence the garden, or build a few frames with chicken wire to cover the beds that are direct-sown more securely. 
My rhubarb is making funky fat flower stalks. Cutting them off to encourage more foliage instead. 
Delighted to find that the wormwood survived winter!
Bed of collard greens, tatsoi and tokyo bekana (although this picture from a week ago, plants are bigger now!)
Pink clematis is blooming!

No comments: