22 January 2021

sculpit and nettles

Garden eats are pretty skimpy now. I picked this heaping lot of purple dead nettle from the yard- after washing and taking only the nicest leaves off the stems (without a lot of bug holes or slug evidence) it's only a fourth this amount. Also cut what little bit of swiss and leaf beet chard was still growing, and baby leaves of kale, made green tortillas with the combination.
Found that my kids like the nettles well enough cooked in a bit of olive oil until just starting to crisp, tossed over noodles as an extra among the other vegetables.

Earlier in the week I cut some sculpit to cook with onions and mix into cous cous. Found that some had made horizontal stems under the leaf mulch, with new shoots going up. I didn't know it would have this growth pattern. Nice to see that the plant will spread, so I won't need to sow more to expand my patch of it. Instead, I ought to remove the nepitella which I don't eat, and give this more room.

No comments: