14 December 2020

small eats

Not much alive in the garden now. Rain, and possibly snow this week. Found a way that I like to eat the sculpit: sautéed with onions in a bit of butter, with pasta or cous cous. 
Tried it the first way in some leftover mac 'n cheese to dress it up, surprised how good it was. Cut more next time, served it as a side dish with cous cous and salmon. Very good like that!
Also have finally started using the winter savory regularly, it thrives all winter so might as well. Last week I simmered lentils with just the winter savory and a bit of salt at the end. It was so flavorful my husband asked if I'd put a chunk of pork fat in there (though it's been a long time since I trimmed pork chops for that). Nope, just the winter savory! 

Yesterday I made a small meat pie, which I usually like with thyme and bay leaf. I used the winter savory this time, plus a handful of baby kale leaves- and again, it was better than I'd expected. Definitely to repeat.

No comments: