25 November 2020

seeds to save- and bake!

I saved hyssop seed. Fall from the little throats of the dried flowers-
Mixed with the chaff-
Cleaned up ready to store. Don't have a good reason for this- I still have plenty of hyssop seed in the original packet I bought, and I now have seven two-year-old plants in the yard that will grow back every spring. I'm not picturing planting more hyssop, but as it so generously seed, I thought I'd save it. Can always take to the local seed/plant exchange which I skipped this year due to covid (they held it as an outdoor event but I didn't go). Looking forward to spring!
On another note, I did something I never thought I would- I took some of my saved seeds out of the fridge and baked them to use as pie weights. My usual collection of dried beans for pie weights- which I've been using over and over for many years- isn't quite enough when I make two pies. So as I have far more purple-podded pole bean seed than I actually need next year, I picked out fifteen of the fattest smoothest ones to save (planning for ten to twelve good plants) and poured the majority into the uncooked pie crust shells with the old dried beans.
Then they went in the oven. But the center bubbled up under the new beans- I don't know if because there simply wasn't enough to weigh it down, or if the beans weren't dry enough, and the moisture did something.
Well, it still made a fine pie (the beans get removed and filling poured in, which was cooked separate).

No comments: