27 October 2020

lemon balm and other stuff

It's getting colder so I've started cutting back my lemon balm plant preparing to mulch it heavy at end of week when it will drop below freezing. Taking stems off in stages; plucking the largest leaves to freeze for overwinter use, and putting the smaller ones left on stem tips in espresso cup for fresh tea the next few days.
Still picking purple pole beans to eat, and some of the oldest dried pods (that faintly rattle now) have brought into the house hung to mature further before I split them open for the seed. There's carrots, swiss and beet leaf chard, amaranth 'callaloo' (not for long), tokyo bekana (a bit bug-eaten but still good)
and baby kale leaves. 
My fall lettuces are finally looking like something. I think it helped that I weeded their bed recently, and started watering a bit more regularly when it hasn't rained in several days.

No comments: