26 September 2020

um, grass . . .

Kind of embarrassing to go out and kneel on the edge of the driveway to pull crabgrass by hand for an hour. That area I had cleared and reseeded last year, that sprang up all bright, pretty vivid green? It died in the summer heat. There's pretty much only this one tuft left.
However, the seed I scattered all through the rest of the front yard seems to have taken in most spots- the bare patches have all filled in. With crabgrass again as well, unfortunately (though it does seem less thick than last year, hard to tell. Definitely less of it in the back yard now, where I've been catching the clippings when there are seedheads present). So now I'm pulling up crabgrass again- making bare areas and reseeding them with this variety that's supposed to have deep, drought-resistant roots, and send runners out underground to spread and fill in on its own accord-
Started out alongside the driveway once more. If this area takes well (and lasts thru next summer) then I'll go ahead and pull/reseed another section. At least I know what works now, to get the grass seed to grow. I did it the same: mix equal amounts seed, compost and ashes, scattered evenly over the bare, raked ground, mulch lightly with crushed dry leaves, water regularly.

No comments: