03 October 2019

grass!

For once I am pleased with grass.
Usually I just try to keep it presentable- green, cut regular, dig out the dandelions and broadleaf plantain when they get too prevalent. But the crabgrass is getting to be too much. I've started pulling it in sections this fall, and reseeding. Water once or twice a day until it comes up. Tried two varieties of grass seed so far. The one advertised to fill in quick sure does that- came up fast in three days- but then I found out it's an annual type, I need to read the labels more careful and get perennial seed! I mixed it with compost and ashes, scattered in the bare areas, then sprinkled crumbled dry leaves over, so the watering doesn't wash it away. It's quite thick and bright fresh green now, but only in one small corner I've worked on so far.

No comments: