29 February 2020

finishing touches

Little greenhouse seen from my kitchen window.
I hung the thermometer in it, visible from both kitchen and living room. Temps never got above 35° today outside, but at midday my greenhouse warmed to almost seventy, and I was able to put the youngest, more tender seedlings out for a few hours. The cold-hardy ones- lettuce, arugula, chard, collards and kale- were out for most of the day.
Added a makeshift carpet of old cloths, to block drafts coming up between the decking planks, and put a latch on top and bottom.
The wood piece that's the leading edge of the door was warped, letting in a draft either top or bottom if the other end is pushed in. So I put a latch on top to hold that edge out,
and one on base to slightly force that edge in. Makes it straight. Yeah, one of the things that's not perfect here.
Kept the hook and eye for quick temporary latch when I'm moving plants in or out. Also fastened a strip of folded plastic (double thickness) from inside the frame for the door to shut against, to block slight draft where there's still a tiny gap when it's closed. In lieu of weather stripping. Which I could always add instead.

No comments: