01 September 2019

beautiful creepers

My husband noticed the swallowtail caterpillars today, they've eaten the parsley almost completely away. He told me in some alarm, thinking I'd want to rid the planter box of them, but I explained I was feeding them there on purpose. I went and pulled three carrots, cut the tops and stuck in the soil. This smallest one, and the next, were both black with red-orange nubbins last time I looked at them- just a few days ago!
Three others are much larger and I wonder if almost size enough to build their cocoons. They sure are vivid looking.
Not a caterpillar- I found another one of the green-winged swamp cicadas, upside-down under edge of deck railing:
I finally got a photo of a black swallowtail on the tithonia:
Slight blur it was lifting off-

No comments: