31 August 2019

more bugs!

because when you're in the garden enough, you find things. Found all the below on leaves of turnips I pulled the other day. This striking bug, is a "bad" one. Southern green stink bug, and it feeds on plants. I wasn't sure what it was, so I trapped it under a cloche while I came inside to look it up.
I'm still not sure on the identity of this one- I think it's an immature wheel bug?
in any case, those front legs sure look like they want to grab other insects- I felt certain this was a predator so I left it alone.
These grey caterpillars are very common in my yard. I thought I had figured out what they are once before, but now I can't remember or find another post on them. I have a hunch it's the larvae of a moth, but which one?
Two brownish caterpillars that curl up when disturbed-
when one started crawling I got a better look at it- maybe it's the larva of an underwing moth, or could be an armyworm? those are my two guesses
The cicada population is again, different this year. I don't notice a change in their strident voices, but I found two on the deck- mating I guess- and they sure look different. These have dull greenish foreheads, bold green structures on their wings
and from above, you can see there's two white spots on either side of their black bodies.
So, I looked it up! Last year it was a 17-year cicada. I'll see those striking orange red-eyed buggars again in 2034 I assume! This one looks like the swamp cicada, or morning cicada. It has an annual cycle, so I might see it every year. I'm going to start paying more attention to the cicadas. Curious how many other species of them I will find, and at what intervals.

No comments: