02 June 2019

on the deck!

I have a lot more container plants this year- because some of them just do better on this upper level that gets more light, and it's more or less out of the bug zone in the garden. Left to right: stevia, rue, fenugreek, asiatic lily, rosemary, winter savory, coleus, basil.
around the same corner to the door: cucumbers, sweet basil, coleus, fig, geranium, amaratto basil, choc mint, chives- in front the cuban oregano, lemon balm, japanese maple seedling, another rue, thyme.
Other side of the door: bay leaf, geranium, nasturtium and ginger mint
Nasturtium flowers:
I like the peachy hue when they start to fade-
Of note: still haven't eaten any fenugreek. Brought an Asiatic lily around from the front- whatever was eating its head off left it alone up here. Two buds!
The fenugreek flowers look similar to clover
Corner behind the chair: sculpit, coleus, basil that doesn't flower (I haven't eaten it yet)
'gay delight' coleus looks really good this year
I had two sculpit plants- the one down in the garden died. I'm not sure if conditions were wrong for it, or it was out-competed by nearby parsley and other plants? Well, the one up here has pretty blue-green leaves
and is starting to make the balloon flowers!
Cucumbers sprawling-
view from over the railing
and down below
Lots of yellow flowers- a few tiny cukes starting to form.
Lime-and-orange (red) coleus is also doing great-
Fig tree is growing rapidly. My friend has the same kind, and hers (although smaller) has small fruits forming on it. Mine doesn't. I guess I have a male tree.
Amaratto basil is flowering!
This is the wild mint I dug out of a friend's yard. It wasn't doing great last year- pot sat down by the lower deck. Refreshed with new potting soil, mulch with bamboo and moved to the upper deck. Better now.
Ginger mint also doing better up here (it was down by the garden last year)
and of course, my favorite chocolate mint. I'm clipping from this nearly every day to steep in my green tea. So far no pests.

No comments: