01 May 2019

spring plant splurge

I did my spring plant shopping this past weekend, at my two favorite local nurseries. First I visited Williams Greenhouses, right here in town. Tried to stick to my list of desireables, but ended up buying a few on a whim... starting with a new peony for the front yard- 'sorbet'
some flowers in the daisy family- an upright osteospermum 'terracotta improved' (origins in Africa)
and 'Sassy rose' argyranthemum (taller than the one I had before) native to Canary Islands (I wanted to get asters, but couldn't find any yet)
A few new salvias- 'May Night'
and 'Caradonna'
I've already planted them, in the remaining space behind the lilac bush
I was really excited to find a bay laurel tree! Since I've kept my stevia alive overwinter, I hope I can do the same with this plant.
A new cintronella- scented geranium. Really hope I don't kill it again. Already potted up:
Bright, variegated 'pesto perpetuo' basil. I liked the light color. Didn't realize at first what the name 'perpetuo' refers to- this one is supposed to delay flowering, providing more leaves to use.
This find also delighted me- Inca alstroemeria. I once had a beautiful boquet of this flower my husband brought home- very pleased to find one I can grow in my yard. Might dig out the asiatic lily and replace with this (I never get to enjoy the other lily anyway, the deer eat the tops before they bloom).
Two new blue hosta- called 'Big daddy'
A nostalgia purchase- I always loved the fuschia plant my mother had in her yard- here it can only be an annual though- unless I manage to overwinter it indoors... . .
The darker foliage reminds me of the sunpatiens I grew one year.
An herb I've read about, but never tried- winter savory.
I potted it up for a deck spot, but then read it can thrive as a perennial, so I might find space for it in the permanent herb bed. Its foliage is very like tarragon (in the smaller white pot here) or rosemary.
This is another salvia- a red salvia called 'vista purple'
Another new-to-me herb: sorrell.
Two ancho pepper plants, because I didn't start my own.
Impulse buy I already kinda regret- a crazy splotchy coleus with a silly name 'main street rodeo drive.' Already I think it looks too garish.
Must always have nasturtiums. This six pack
got divided into two pots- one here on the deck, the other is out by the garden.
Whew! Here's a lot of the new plants together, when first brought home:

No comments: