01 May 2019

second splurge

So- on the same day I went to the other local nursery down the highway- Wolf Trap. They have more perennials and shrubs, and I think grow their own plants. I found far more natives than I expected, crossed quite a few off the list I've made! I'm not going purist in my yard (yet) but do want to have more plants that grow naturally here, to support the insect life. This is a native sedum- it's called whorled stonecrop. I do believe it might be the same one I have around my stump out front.
I got two more swamp milkweeds!
(Here's the one established from last year)
A lovely pink clematis (not native, just pretty)
I'm going to put it by this post near the garden
A fig tree! It's a hardy Chicago fig
A gamble, I know- the sunniest spot I have to put it is middle of the front yard- which isn't really sheltered. For now it's on the deck.
False Indigo 'blue'- this is a native plant. I got two-
I was really happy to find oakleaf hydrangea- this is a native shrub that can grow up to six feet tall and eight feet wide, likes the shade. I hope it will really fill in my shady sideyard. I planted it immediately. This one is 'snow queen' and blooms white. I'd rather have one with cream-colored flowers, but am not complaining!
Another native shade plant, very attractive, wonder why I never knew of it before. Solomon's seal.
I've divided up two pots of it, planted around one of the backyard trees.
There is still a ton of empty space in my backyard, weeds and unhappy grass, but I feel like it's finally starting to make progress and take shape now.

No comments: