31 March 2019

protected?

Squirrel got on the deck unseen yesterday. It dug a bit in the herb planted boxes, and the winter-sown jugs - which were a fail this year, btw. All I got is one romaine lettuce
 and a bunch of weeds. No milkweed. (The indoor tray just grew mold). 
But! The squirrel did not touch the pots in the open coldframe, or the mints and chives- which had my two young rue sitting right next to them. I like to think the rue is guarding them. If I put potted rue near another plant that's been bothered and it gets left alone, does that prove anything?
There have been a few small squirrel holes in the garden here and there, but nothing to upset me much, yet. If rue is keeping them away it's not completely foolproof, but I think discourages him from staying and digging longer.

No comments: