06 March 2018

kuhli corners

The wall of bolbitis fern has become very effective. I have cut off nearly all the original, older stems and much of the young foliage presses up against the glass. It's enough to keep the serpaes from getting down in among the roots under the rhizomes, so it is very easy now to selectively feed my kuhlis. Since I added a piece of clay pot shard where a gap was, their last passage is blocked off. I no longer have to pass my hand periodically in front of the glass to shy the fish away while the kuhlis are feeding. I made a feeding tube and can simply insert it into the spot, drop the morsels in. It's funny to see the tetras dart after the food they see falling thru the tube and then stop short, baffled. When I fed loach wafers, one of the black kuhlis began to swim up the tube after the scent!
I've noticed that when it's not feeding time, the black kuhlis tend to be on one end of the tank around the driftwood piece and under the wendtii plants. The striped kuhlis hang out on the other end under the bolbitis wall. Here's Albert, Sassy and Tiger.

No comments: