26 February 2016

recovering

Finally I'm feeling pleased with my aquarium, again. The plants are starting to look healthy once more, and I was even surprised this morning how quick the maintenance task went, with so few leaves to trim off or algae to clean. Crypt wendtii is looking greener yet
Elodea is filling out its corner- I've been gradually trimming back taller stems and replanting the tops.
If I look back at prior photos, the subwassertang has doubled in volume! The kuhlis really seem to love squirming through this plant. Think I might have to trim it soon.
Vallisneria growing and growing. I really enjoy watching the kuhlis wind their way through these stems- it's becoming a little jungle for them in this corner. I remember when I was so happy the vals had reached height of the heater knob- they're much taller now!
Aponogeton leaves look nice again. I hope I can keep them that way this time!
Bacopa hasn't got many pictures yet- it's kind of in an awkward spot in terms of photos. Here's kind of looking down through the short side of the tank. I haven't trimmed anything off these stems, just waiting to see how they do.
Most of the buces are now sprouting new leaves at a steady rate. A rubber band snapped and this larger one 'selena' is only held on by a small piece end of the roots. But it has newer roots going down so I'm leaving it alone to see will it grip on the wood by itself, without assistance.
I did attack BBA on the buce 'dark godzilla' today. I don't know why this is the only plant seems to have got that nasty algae on its leaf margins. Maybe because it's in a relatively still corner. I took it out of the tank and put it in a plastic box of tank water.
Used a straw to drip hydrogen peroxide on the BBA tufts. There was more than I'd realized. Ugh.
It did bubble some. I don't know yet if I killed it. I left it in there for about half an hour while finished changing the tank water, then wiped the leaves off firmly with paper towel- removed a lot of brown algae that was on the surfaces. It has much better color now, so I'm glad I didn't start trimming leaves. Crossing fingers that stuff will turn orange and fall off.

No comments: