07 September 2014

worm update

The worms are better. There has been no odor at all- not even on opening the bin, for at least a week now. I fed them only once this week- half what used to be the normal amount, with some dryer lint, a small of used hamster bedding and some cardboard chips for brown material mixed in. Mostly vegetable matter, didn't put all the fruit scraps in there, but tossed a lot (afraid it would get too moist again). Turned most of the bin contents by hand as well, to make sure it was aerated and not bogging down in the bottom again. Worms happily squirming. Masses of them where the latest food patch was. None trying to escape. Damp in the lower areas but not too bad, not dripping anymore. Smells earthy and sweet- just right. The yogurt containers are slowly crushing from weight, so I've replaced a few of them with tin cans that are the same height. Will replace the rest when I have more on hand.
And some of my worms have unintentionally migrated! I've noticed for a while that the plants which received vermicompost hold water better now, so water them a bit less frequently. Some the pots nearly always feel heavy. The other day I was moving soil in top of my avocado pot (poured water in too fast and it shoved a bunch aside so I was patting it back) and the surface moved. I dug around a bit- found six or seven young red wigglers in there! They must have been baby ones or perhaps eggs in the compost when I put it in the pot. I don't know how many more might be in there, or in other plant pots around the house! I didn't think they would survive living in a pot... next time I repot or refresh the soil for these plants, will comb through it thoroughly to see if there's more worms.

No comments: