03 September 2014

clean up

Which means: how many plants will move from my balcony to the dumpster, today?
I should have tossed the chocolate Mint weeks ago- it is now a mottled mess. Still it was disappointing, the beautiful scent surrounding me while I upended it into the trash bag. I think my plants are afflicted by spider mites, but not sure so I am not taking chances but throwing away the soil they were all in, too. Won't use the pots or shards again until they've been bleached and rinsed well.
I cut out all the oregano, too- that's also failing. Not my favorite variety of oregano anyways (but the mint was). I tried to salvage the lemon balm, which was just starting to show bad signs on the little seedling sprouts and some lower leaves. This one was still sitting in original garden soil (mostly clay) from the old house- I must have transplanted it in a hurry and forgot to give new soil. I dug out the main stems and put into new soil. Useless, pretty plant. Giving it one last chance.
Probably should throw out some more- my daughter's lovely little mimosa (sensitive plant) has symptoms.
So does the ginger, but it's also got new shoots coming up since I fed with vermicompost. I've been wiping down the ginger leaves (sharp, fresh lovely ginger scent arises when I do!) every day or so with damp paper towels, they seem dusty and debris-ridden (at a microscopic level). It seems to help a little bit, but I don't have the energy to do this for every plant. I guess I could spray with soapy water, but keep forgetting and by the time I noticed the plants were sickly, it seemed too far gone and likely to just spread more. They're goners.

I will really miss the fresh mint tea. Will have to get some new herbs from the nursery next spring. I never did replace my rosemary, stevia, thyme or sage this year...

No comments: