25 January 2014

together

The Danios have begun to hang out together, instead of sparring and chasing so much. At least, that's how it looks to me.
They don't exactly school yet, but during their daylight hours are all usually swimming about in the upper part of the water column. I was wondering why in the mornings one or two of the fish tend to stay close to the substrate but then realized those are their twilight hours- I have the aquarium lights on 8 hours a day now (minimal algae)- and their proper day starts at 3pm. So when it is dim some of them seem more timid, when the lights are on they are all out and about. In the afternoon/evening I can glance at the tank and quickly count all six fish:
They are learning that lifting of the hatch often means food- if I want to see all the fish I just have to open the cover and then all six are right there at the surface, darting around expectantly.
Plants are growing well! Especially the Watersprite and Java Fern- their younger leaves have doubled in size. I like the delicate, ferny appearance of the Watersprite. My photo isn't very good, but the plant is really quite pretty.

No comments: