30 January 2014

flies, yum yum

I've begun feeding gnats and fruit flies to my fishes once a week. This is purportedly an excellent, natural food for them and of course I've always got a minor fly population in my home. Always a few fruit files around the worm bin, and fungus gnats hatch from the houseplants' soil. Whenever one is annoying flying in my face I automatically swat it, no more trouble to simply drop these into a baby food jar that goes in the freezer. At the end of a week I tipped them all out onto a piece of paper (to warm up a bit) and then gave to the fish.
The Bettas seemed a bit uninterested, eyed the flies for a long time before finally eating them. My Danios went crazy after the flies, dashing about so fast to gobble they were all gone in seconds. Definitely something I'm going to keep doing!

No comments: