25 October 2013

pinkie's move

It has been getting colder, but I'm not ready to turn the heat on yet- we warm up with socks, sweaters and extra blankets for now. But it's too cold for my betta, where he was on the kitchen counter. I could tell because he slowed down; would just hover unmoving in the water for long periods of time. I remembered that sometimes people put bread dough on top of the fridge to rise, and I thought if the heat released from a working fridge keeps yeast going, will it be warm enough for my betta?
This will just show that a bowl is not really suitable for a betta, but that's what I have so that's what I'm working with. (I know you can buy little flat heating pads to go under the fishbowl, but I've read really mixed reviews on how well those work). So I have simply moved my betta bowl to the top of the fridge.
I think it will be a good spot for him, during winter. I was concerned he might be stressed by the frequent bumps of the fridge/freezer doors being open/closed, but so far he looks okay. He's swimming around actively again and seems to look at me when I walk by.
The thermostat in my apartment has read just above sixty lately; this morning it was fifty-eight and still the fish looks okay. When I do turn the heat on he'll be even warmer, as the heat rises...

The first photo is best because I had the overhead light on, but I don't like the bar of its reflection. Tried again without it but the results are dim. Next time I'll stand on a chair perhaps.

No comments: