24 October 2013

chill

It's been getting cold. There's a freeze warning for tonight. So it became a little impromptu harvest day for my small balcony garden. I trimmed the Sage, cut the Chives, Green Onions and Swiss Chard to the ground.
I brought my Ginger inside, probably should have done this sooner.
I grouped most of the plants away from the balcony edge and close to the apartment wall, where they might hold some warmth. This side has some Ferns, the Hibiscus, Echinacea, Celery and Geraniums.
The other side has more Ferns, Rosemary, Sage, Chard, Green Onions and pot of Chives.
here pictured after the cutback:
As a last thought, I gathered a bit of mulch from shredded leaves (dead fern foliage, trimmings from hibiscus) and some cut-up coir fiber that used to house my boston fern, and tucked it around the base of my Sage, Rosemary, and miniature Rose.
The rest of the plants will just have to fend for themselves, and see how they survive. I did move the Nasturtium planter off the railing and onto a low shelf against the brick endwall
but left the Petunia planter where it was. It's heavily infested with aphids and I think whitefly, and I don't want that to spread to the other plants.
So that's it. I wasn't expecting it to get so cold so soon.

No comments: