10 September 2011

jades

A few weeks ago I cut my tall Jade in half. It had split into two growing arms at the top and just seemed top-heavy. So I thought, I'll cut the top off, root it, and have two plants. Thus it is. Here's the piece I cut off
and the original stem, with the leaves removed in process stuck around edge of the pot in case they root.
If you look close, can see the top of the original stem is growing new leaves already.
One of the discarded leaves is starting a new plantlet.
And this amazing one in another pot. I had stuck five or six other leaves in here and then it didn't get watered for a while, most of them died. But this one leaf kept going, and is producing not only one, but four little plants! (One is just unfolding still). I've never seen a leaf make more than one.
Just for the record, here are the two older plants I started each from a discarded leaf.
Nothing really to crow about, Crassula propagates so easily this way it really isn't any skill of mine to get so many new jade plants. But it pleases me anyhow, to see them growing.

No comments: