30 August 2010

canning!

Today I cleaned up all my Green Beans outside. The older plants were just starting to look awful
so I pulled them all up, and only picked off the younger beans (not many). Then combed through the younger plants, picking beans and cleaning up litter. Squashed a lot of stink bugs, too. Discovered that quite a few of my plants made crawly vines, which I hadn't noticed before as they were tangled all on the ground amongst themselves and the broccoli. So I put a few sticks in the ground and lifted them up, it looks awkward but at least the beans won't be all over the ground.
I had a whole boxful of beans so I decided to try canning again.
Here they are all cleaned and cut.
Almost half on closer inspection were too old or bad,
 so I was over ambitious in washing ten pint jars!
I only filled four. Here they are just ready to go into the canner
and just come out. They all made a nice ping!
I found it a lot easier this time to keep the pressure steady, too.

2 comments:

MOM said...

Glad to see the canning worked this time.

chrisa511 said...

I just love seeing you canning everything! It's so very cool. I wanted to plant green beans this past weekend, but it rained all weekend :( Maybe this weekend!! My black eyed peas are ready now though!