30 July 2010

random pics

Guess what I saw in the garden yesterday! A hummingbird!! I was so surprised I just sat stock-still and watched it. It flew over and hovered a moment in front of my Cosmos flowers, then left. I wish I'd had my camera; I was too far to see the colors but it was definitely a hummingbird. I've never seen one in my yard before. Next year I'm definitely going to plant some flowers just for hummingbirds.

I found this big fat bee sitting on a green bean leaf in the early morning.
My row of Sunflowers behind the pumpkin patch is growing like crazy! I'm still not sure if they'll have enough time to flower before fall, though.
 I made another dish with Cherry Tomatoes: quesadillas! These have cheddar cheese, chopped mushrooms, and Cherry Tomatoes and Cilantro out of the garden. Yum!
I have some little Broccoli heads growing! But I don't know if they'll be nice size enough to eat.

4 comments:

Debi said...

Don't you just love hummingbirds?!! We have tons of milkweed in our flower garden...for monarchs. But this year, we have a hummingbird that really seems to love it as well. :)

Those quesadillas look so scrumptious!

Jeane said...

I love them! My mom used to have sugar feeders for them, but even then I never saw many up close.

chrisa511 said...

I'm finding that one of the things that I love more than anything about my garden is all of the new little critters that I find! Ok...so I don't love them all, but still :p I love hummingbirds so much!!! I consider it a gift everytime I see one. I've only seen one maybe 3 or 4 times in my life. They're just amazing. I definitely want to plant some flowers that will attract them!

I love your sunflowers :D They look just like mine right now!! They're starting to grow like crazy. Mine are maybe just ahead of yours and they've just started to really take off!

Jeane said...

I really like these sunflowers! They look nicer already than the ones I grew last year. I'm going to give them a big feed of compost tomorrow; I want to give them a jump, hoping they'll flower for me soon!