23 June 2009

plants

All those Broccoli I started inside have died, eaten up by the slugs. O well. The five plants sown outdoors are getting nice and big.

The Cucumber plants are starting to flower. One at the end of the row looks like it's a different plant- it was a volunteer from another row I thought a cuke and moved it here. Now I'm not sure what it is- a relative, though.


Pulled a few Beets today- still not quite big enough- the largest here is almost tennis ball size.


Dug up all the Garlic, as the plants were falling over- got a few nice big fat ones w/well-formed cloves, and lots of small ones. We'll eat all the small ones and save the big ones for planting again in fall. I'm not sure why some grew big and others small- did only the largest planted cloves make big bulbs? or was the how deep I buried them, or the conditions of the soil?


Two of them grew a bulb under the soil and started forming cloves above the ground about a half inch up the stalk. It looks really weird.


We're eating a bowlful of fresh peas every other day.


The Lettuces left in ground are tall and pretty now, almost ready to put out flowers.


Nasturtiums look nice, too.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Gorgeous veggies! My garden is currently empty right now. I have big plans for the fall if we can get more raised beds built.

Jeane said...

Thanks! I want to plant more in some empty spots I have, but it's getting too hot. Have to wait for cooler weather to do fall crops.