09 April 2013

the wonder plant

This is a Resurrection Plant, also called the Miracle Fern. I'm not sure of the exact scientific name, but after looking stuff up online I think it is Selaginella lepidophylla. My dad bought it for me in a gift shop when we were in Arizona.
Living in the desert but unable to store water in its tissues, the plant dries up into a ball and then unfolds and grows again when moisture is present. So I tried it. I put the dry plant (you can see the little fronds tucked up)
into a shallow dish of water.
Here it is after half an hour:
two hours:
six hours:
seven and a half hours:
Concerned that the plant tissues might get rot from sitting in moisture all day I put it over a bulb vase.
The next day transferred it to a shallow dish of pebbles
and set it outside in the sun.
When the water level dropped in the dish it immediately started to curl up again.
It's so interesting!

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I've seen them before and have always been curious about them! Are they gimmick plants or can they live healthy lives?

Jeane said...

I think it's a gimmick, now. Mine has lost the green color even though I put it in full sun- which supposedly it likes. It is mostly brown and still unfolds/curls up again according to how much water is in the dish, but I don't think it's actually going to grow.