09 April 2013

herbs

I've been using more garden herbs again. The Chives are growing so wonderfully. They're great in baked potatoes, or eggs.
Finally found a use for Sage beyond the traditional thanksgiving turkey. I made a simple roast pork rub out of just sage and honey, and it was delicious. The kids loved it.

Another use for Sage was in a fresh butternut squash soup (meaning I bought a squash, roasted and cut it up and pureed it, the whole nine yards). I liked that one, they didn't.
I've also been using my Stevia more often. Discovered that if I eat something with just a pinch of Stevia in it, I have less "munchies" later in the day. I did some reading and it is suggested that this herb will suppress cravings. It's got a metallic aftertaste no good for coffee so I put a pinch in my pancakes, and also tried substituting it in a cornbread recipe- with plain yogurt to make up the bulk -a teaspoon of stevia equals a cup of sugar. You can also use appleasauce and a variety of other things to make up the bulk. That was also a success, everyone ate it up.

I recently dried another bunch of Stevia,
cutting the plant back, but it springs back with new growth quite quickly!
Also cut my first bunch of fresh Dill to dry
so the plants look a bit scraggly, as we've been eating it fresh as well. I put some on a baked fish recipe the other day, and it was good. Used my Lemon Thyme on fish for the first time, as well.
Other plants that are regrowing with vigor are my pots of Mint. I pinch them occasionally for the scent but haven't started eating it yet.

1 comment:

chrisa511 said...

It all sounds and looks DELICIOUS!