27 October 2023

end of acorns, first step

Well, almost. There's a few left in the last basket. I spent a few hours going through all the acorns. Because I'd forgotten to sift them around for a day (or maybe two), and also perhaps the baskets didn't have an open enough weave on the bottom, and I found that a lot of them were suddenly going moldy. There was also film of mold growing on the bottom of the baskets, I threw one out and scoured the other with bleach and set it outside on the porch to dry, ick. 

So while the other day, I felt like more than half the acorns were good, which was pleasing, this time most of them were bad, which was discouraging and gross. I threw a lot out without even bothering to open them, due to the mold. And then I drained the bowl of opened good acorns but got distracted with another task out of the room for a moment, forgot to come back to it, and they discolored very quickly. Looked bad enough I threw those out too. This was halfway thru sorting all the acorns though, so it wasn't a total loss. 

I ended up with a full bucket of bad acorns, full bucket of shells again, paper bag full of solid but with-a-worm-hole nuts to discard in the woods, and just over half a quart bag of good, clean ones to go in the freezer. Very tired of it. There's just a few handfuls left that weren't ready to split yet. I shake the basket when I walk past through the room, to keep 'em aerated. (Though only one layer now, so they probably don't need it).

The bad acorns and moldy ones this time around disgusted me so much, I felt compelled to scour my kitchen sink and other things just to feel clean again.

No comments: