25 October 2023

acorns day 4

of the shelling stage, still. Heaped a plate again with ones that were starting to split open. Learned that the quick spoilage happens from the nutmeat getting exposed to air, so if you drop them immediately in water, they don't start to discolor. So I tried that.
It definitely made the job go quicker- instead of making continual trips across the room to freezer, I just plop them all in the bowl of water, rinse and pat dry and freeze at the end. Above pic, all the acorns that split entirely in half while I was shelling, so I finished them right away. Set aside the ones that remained intact with their skins on to do after.
While I was splitting these, to check for bad spots, the ones in the bowl soaked out enough tannins to color it all yellow.
My bowl for shells filled for the third time since starting all this, so I empty in the yard under shrubs as mulch.
And the bowl (slightly smaller) of bad acorn discards, filled for the fourth time, prompting a walk through the woods . . . 
Almost filled a quart bag entire, from this shelling alone.

No comments: