20 September 2023

across the front

My front bed has needed a lot of cleaning up. So many weeds and young volunteer trees to pull, mulch to spread, things to trim back. My clumps of clary sage have lots of bug holes-
 But I was pleased to find, next to this baby cranesbill, a new clary sage as well! At least one of them self-seeded (even though I cut the flower stalks back to try and get a second bloom).
A few catmint have popped up here, too, next to the brunnera. Those traveled far!
Even though I only pinched back the mums once, they grew quite thick so I hope flower without flopping over too much this year.
In the other front corner by the driveway, I've weeded and mulched around the daylilies- and you can see that little pink lily is still here!
Some of the lyreleaf sage I planted under the lilac are finally looking okay.
And this one is grown really thick and lush. I think it might be one of those ajuga actually getting a foothold now- it looks very much like the lyreleaf, I won't really be sure until it blooms in spring. Feel silly not recognizing my own plant, but hey.
I'm dismayed my lilac is still apparently dying. The right half is still bare, in fact the barren branches seem to be spreading. And there's very little bug sign on the foliage this year. I'm stumped. Is it the encroachment of the black-and-blue salvia I put in the corner behind it? Did I really overdo it with leaf mulch those early winters, and it got rot down in the root crown? I just don't know.

No comments: