02 July 2023

young mantis

So hi, it's been a while. Hard to find motivation to post when I have not really been gardening. I have a backlog of some photos from June when I did take a few pictures of things but then never found the energy to come post them yet. I really need to get out there and clean up! but still have to take it easy for a while.

My lavender and catmint are going crazy out there, the borage did beautifully this year (no japanese beetles spreading illness to squish- I never saw one!) but is now starting to die off so I need to cut a lot of it out and give the seedling celosia in that spot room to grow. Cranesbill in the front is sprawling all over the bed edge and needs a trim, and the clary sage have all gone to seed so I need to cut back their stalks now too. The sculpit is going wild with balloon flowers all over the place that I also need to trim off- because have found some spread into the front bed of their own accord! 

On the deck my dill and basil finally took off in their deck containers, and the thyme is doing just okay. It's barely enough to flavor lentils once a week. Parsley is small and struggling, the sage cuttings never took- all died, and my garlic chives died too. However I'm happy with my fenugreek- finally got two of those growing okay and they give me the lovely distinct scent again when I brush the delicate foliage. 

I have other stuff to report, but will get to that later. It's still a garden, even if awfully neglected and scraggly this year. The rabbit has got so bold as to come right up against the decking and snack on clover in the empty beds (and plants in the others too I'm sure). Mostly because my elderly cat is not allowed to roam the yard by himself anymore, I think. Milkweed on the larger sunny sideyard has grown tall and robust, sporting some flower heads and I can't wait to get out there and look for monarch caterpillars.

But! I came here today to share a photo I got of a young preying mantis, perched outside the window above my 33L aquarium. It just made me really grin to see him (her?) looking back at the camera thru the window. I am pretty sure they are my favorite insect of all.

No comments: