20 May 2023

another puzzle

Today I dug up young plants, what I still think is volunteer shiso from a few garden beds and paths, and moved to a row against the fence like before.
Found this one growing in the same area. Feel once again, like I ought to know it, I recognize, but can't remember what it is
My first thought was that joe pye weed had scattered its seed downhill- but the leaves are slightly different color and not quite as long. Here's the joe pye- all grown in thick and fast!
Would be nice if it was a little bit of black-and-blue salvia, but that doesn't quite match either.
I looked more carefully comparing it to lemon balm- nope.
Then went and scratched my head over bed seven, that my kid used once- this plant I thought was sprouts of catmint 
(here's the catmint)
Well, it isn't. Here they are next to each other- you can see the catmint is slightly darker and bluer in hue, with leaves a tad narrower and more toothy.
I thought with happiness- maybe it's the blue sage! Because there's quite a few of these unknowns now growing across that bed, and I do love the blue sage. But here's one alongside bed four, where I know I grew blue sage last year, and the foliage matches my older pictures of that.
So I've got more looking through photos to do, for both of these. Or just wait and let them grow up and flower, and then yank them out if I instantly recognize it's something I don't want (like I did that yellow maybe-it's-false-indigo plant. 

And by the way, here's the real false indigo starting to flower. Lovely!

No comments: