06 May 2023

I've been trying to figure out

the identity of a plant growing on the sunny hillside. I can't remember if I transplanted it, or perhaps it spread by seed naturally. I think it's the same as this one- the false indigo down in the back near the compost heap. This one, in more shade, has longer leaves, which made me think it wasn't the same plant, but perhaps they grow longer because of the light difference.

The second false indigo in the original location by the panicle hydrangea is not there- I remember it was faltering one year, and I can't recall if I dug it up and moved it over here to have more sun . . . that would explain this. I looked back in my record here to see if I'd made note of it, but nope.
Here's the one I'm wondering about. 
Closeup of the leaves
They look so much the same, with that simple pleated fold in the middle, except some of these have slightly serrated margins? It does have a very vase-like shape viewed from a distance, which clued me in. Nearby are two smaller plants I think are the same, though at first I thought they were some kind of clover (ha) and almost pulled them:
The large one is about to bloom- so soon I can make a more positive identification (and remove it promptly before seed sets, if it turns out I once again nurtured a weed!)

I do recognize this clump nearby- one of the sedums I transplanted over here from the other dead stump spot in the front yard (which is so rotted out now I could remove all that sedum and put a new young tree there . . . )

No comments: