14 May 2023

I had a bird in my hand

I'd been out in the sideyard, pulling a few weeds and watering some of the newer plants. My cat followed, and there were several wrens scolding harsh little buzzing alarm calls from the euonymus shrub, over and over. I wonder if they have a nest there, although it wasn't just one pair scolding, but three or four birds. Did two pairs nest in the shrub? or another pair nested nearby and they gang up on my cat? probably

Anyway, I went back in the house, where I'd left the sliding glass door to the deck open for some fresh air. Heard a wren again, chirping but it sounded particularly clear, and too loud. In the house. I turned and yes there was a bird in the house fluttering against the window and when I went to try and shoo it outside, it flew onto the mantlepiece, then down near the floor into a corner, then around into the kitchen where it landed on the counter among some dishes, and so on. Trying to hold my coat wide and coax it towards the open exit didn't seem to be working, so I got a lightweight small towel. 

When it flapped along the kitchen windowsill (that has a bug screen so I couldn't just open it for the bird) I moved to hold the towel up behind and kind of cupped it around the bird and suddenly it quieted in my hands. I held them both loosely around the bird in the towel, and stepped outside. Opened my hands more, and for a few moments the wren was just perched on the towel, on my hands. So small, and so very light! If I'd had my eyes closed, I wouldn't know there was anything sitting on that towel at all. When it sprang into the air dipping flight away into a tree, I didn't even feel it leave. 

I was glad to help it out into freedom.

No comments: