30 April 2023

tired now

 after doing just three things outside. I cut out the small-leaved holly that grows under the big japanese one. I do like its small, neat and glossy leaves, but it has such an untidy shape- all leggy and sprawling, probably reaching for more light. I chopped it down to a bare trunk six inches, might make the effort to dig that out later if it regrows. I couldn't picture planting it anywhere else with the awkward shape it had.

 In its place under the japanese holly, I planted four lady ferns. They look so nice there. Will take a picture tomorrow.

Then pruned the row of viburnums. Still uncertain if I regret having planted the volunteers. I've kept all the younger ones clear of the fence- cutting out branches on the back side, there's actually enough space to stand back there. Hopefully this makes it easier to chop them out if I have to remove in future. My pruning job made it look a lot neater- an actual hedge now.

Earlier in the week, sitting outside after some work, I was admiring the light airiness of the spider azalea across the yard, moving in the breeze. Yesterday I looked and it wasn't as easy to see. It looked sparser. I walked over and yes, there were twig ends nipped off, fluff of foliage missing. I found deer droppings near the panicle hydrangea. I looked around the yard- the deer haven't once touched the young japanese maple hybrid on the second sideyard. They haven't eaten any of my transplanted forsythia scion, or the new growth on the younger euonymus shrubs. Just this plant right now. They had to taste something new? 

I got my husband to help me remove the fencing from around the japanese maple, and we moved it to surround the spider azalea. Sigh.

No comments: