29 September 2022

stevia babies

I'm glad I tried this, because recently read that stevia plants start to loose their sweetness in third or fourth year. Haven't noticed mine getting less sweet (it's three years old now) but now I have some little ones to replace it just in case. Of all the cuttings I started, six have survived and are showing new growth. This one's doing the best. Planted in potting soil with rooting hormone.
The one in sand with rooting hormone has baby leaves just barely showing now.
Of the ones without rooting hormone, only the cutting in sterile seed starter mix made it. And one of the cuttings in water started to grow tiny roots, so I stuck it in the same pot to continue growing (foreground).
My parent plant is sprawling, and keeps making flower buds which I trim off. I've brought it in against cold weather, but am going to trim it back further soon.
When the rooted cuttings are big enough, I'll add them into this pot where there's an empty space, or maybe start a second pot for them, not sure yet.

No comments: